This is the best French Onion Soup recipe. It’s my husband’s favorite soup recipe and a real treat for everyone. When the weather turns cold, we usually make this soup to enjoy on a dreary winter day.
It’s perfect! Serve with pumpkin chocolate chip cookies or your favorite dessert.
Ingredients for Best French Onion Soup Recipe:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 oz. butter
1 1/2 lbs. yellow onions
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 level teaspoon granulated sugar
4 cups good beef broth
1 1/4 cups dry white wine
2 tablespoons Cognac
salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the Croutons:
French bread or baguette, cut into 1 inch diagnol slices
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
6 large or 12 small croutons (see above)
4 oz. grated Gruyere cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Place a large, heavy based saucepan on a high heat. Melt the oil and butter together. (being careful not to let the butter burn).
2. Add the onions, garlic, and sugar. Use a wooden spoon continue turning the onions over for 5 or 6 minutes. They should start to turn a rich, golden brown.
3. Turn the heat down to the lowest setting. Continue to cook for 30 minutes to reach the caramelization stage. Occasionally stironions over during this time.
4. Now pour in the white wine and beef broth. Season well with salt and freshly milled black pepper.
5. Turn up the heat. Continue stirring scraping the base of the pan to release the caramel. Once it comes back to a boil, turn the heat down to the low. Simmer very gently for about an hour.
6. Finally, adjust the seasoning and turn off the heat.
Cool the mixture completely and refrigerate overnight.
Make the croutons:
7. Preheat the oven to 350F.
8. Drizzle the olive oil over a large, solid baking sheet. Add the crushed garlic and use your hands to spread the oil and garlic evenly.
9. Spread the slices of bread on the tray. Press down lightly to absorb the oil. Turn the slices over and repeat.
10. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Put to one side while you finish the soup.
11.If you refrigerated the soup overnight, bring the chilled soup back to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in the Cognac and check the seasoning.
12. Preheat the broiler/grill to high.
13. Ladle the soup into 6 individual oup bowls.
14. Place 1 large or 2 small croutons on top of each bowl allowing them to float. Sprinkle generously with the Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses.
15. Finally pop the whole lot under the grill. Leave until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling. Carefully remove from the grill and place the bowls on underplates. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley.
This best French Onion Soup Recipe will make 6 servings.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup molasses
1 large egg
12 oz. bag of your favorite chocolate chips
1 cup pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup lowfat milk
1. Set out butter until at room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
4. Add molasses and egg. Beat together. Stir in chocolate chips and pumpkin puree.
5. Use another bowl to sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir the two mixtures together along with the milk.
6. Use a cookie scoop or rounded teaspoonfuls to drop dough onto greased cookie sheets.
7. Bake for 12 minutes or until done. Cool.
Makes 24-30 cookies. The perfect dessert to serve with this best french onion soup recipe!
Find Easy Soup Recipes