This cioppino recipe is a classic dish that is easy to make. A rich fish flavored hearty dish! It is wonderful served with warm sour dough bread and a glass of wine.
Wine Pairing: My favorite wine to serve with this dish is a Sangiovese. Select your favorite. Consider a Sangiovese from Vino Noceto. This is a small winery located near the Sierra Foothill town of Plymouth in Amador County. Vino Noceto specializes in Sangiovese. Any of their wines would be delightful.
Ingredients for Cioppino Recipe:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large green bell pepper,seeded and chopped
2/3 cup chopped parsley
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (28 oz) tomatoes
1 cup dry red wine
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dry basil
1/2 tsp dry oregano leaves
12 clams in shell, suitable for steaming, scrubbed
1 lb large shrimp, (30 per lb), shelled & deveined
2 cooked large Dungeness crab (about 2 lbs each), cleaned and cracked
Instructions for Cioppino Recipe:
1. Use a 6-8 quart pan to simmer the oil, onion, garlic, bell pepper and parsley. Simmer until onion is soft.
2. Stir in tomato sauce and the tomatoes (along with liquid). Use a spoon to break up the tomatoes.
3. Add wine, bay leaf, basil, and oregano.
4. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add clams, shrimp and crab. Cover and simmer slowly until clams pop open. Shrimp should turn pink. This takes about 20 minutes.
6. Serve with warm sour dough bread.
Chocolate Cream Pie
This chocolate cream pie is a family favorite. My mother made this pie every holiday. These pies have always been greatly anticipated. They were quickly devoured by her children and grandchildren. You’ll love this chocolate meringue pie for dessert with this Cioppino recipe!
Ingredients for Crust:
3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup melted butter
Directions for Crust:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine ingredients, mixing well. Spray 2 pie pans with cooking spray. Press mixture into the bottom and sides of 2 9 inch pie pans.
3. Bake until lightly brown for approximately 15 minutes. Cool.
Ingredients for Filling:
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
3 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups milk
Directions for Filling:
1. Stir dry ingredients together in a medium pan. Mix in the eggs. Stir in the milk gradually.
2. Cook over medium heat until thick. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add vanilla.
3. Pour into pie crusts. Cover with foil or plastic wrap to keep it warm.
4. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 325 degrees.
Ingredients for Meringue:
8 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl until foamy. Gradually add in the sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks are forming.
2. Add vanilla.
3. Spread mixture over the pie filling. Make sure that the meringue seals along the edge of the crust.
4. Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Cool for an hour at room temperature. Move into the refrigerator to chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
This recipe makes two pies. One chocolate cream pie will NOT be enough!
It also calls for a graham cracker crust. However, you can use any type of crust you prefer. The creamy cool chocolate tastes great after a serving of this Cioppino recipe. Enjoy!
Have you tried this Cioppino Recipe? If you have, please leave a comment below. We would love to hear how the recipe turned out.
Try Other Recipes From Cheers-2-Wine – CLICK HERE