You’ll love this delicious black bean soup recipe. It’s easy to make and creates a hearty, satisfying meal.
Serve with a tossed green salad and your favorite bread for a delightful meal full of flavor. I love this soup with corn bread hot from the oven. This recipe follows.Ingredients for Corn Bread It’s the perfect comfort food for a cool day. This will serve 6 people.
Wine Pairing with Black Bean Soup Recipe
I’d recommend a nice Shiraz such as Watcher Shiraz from Fetish Wines.This Australian wine will be able to stand up to the bold flavors of the beans. The fruitiness this wine adds to the meal should pair well with the soup.
Ingredients for Black Bean Soup Recipe:
2 cups dried black beans
6 cups water
3 tablespoons canola oil
4 ounces booked bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red pepper, diced
8 cups low sodium chicken broth
4 bay leaves
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 Tablespoon dry sherry
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
small amounts of diced green onions, diced red onions, and your favorite cheese for garnish
(I usually use feta cheese and it’s yummy!)
Instructions for Black Bean Soup Recipe:
1. The evening before cooking you will need to look through the beans and discard any stones or debris. Rinse well and drain. Place beans in a large bowl. Cover them with water and soak overnight in the refrigerator. (It’s really important not to skip this part!)
2. Brown bacon in a large cooking pot. Add onion, carrot, garlic, and red pepper. Saute vegetables for approximately 10 minutes until soft.
3. Drain the beans. Pour beans and chicken broth into pot with the vegetables. Bring ingredients to a boil. Add the bay leaves and then reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer until the beans are tender; approximately 60 to 90 minutes.
4. Remove pot from the heat. Stir in the salt, pepper, Tabasco, dry sherry, and red wine vinegar. Discard bay leaves. While beans are simmering, prepare the corn bread.
5. Ladle soup into individual bowls. Top with garnishes and serve. For best results, serve when the corn bread is still hot from the oven!
Corn Bread Recipe
Ingredients for Corn Bread:
1/2 cup sweet butter, melted.
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Instructions for Corn Bread:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray an 8 inch round pan with grease.
3. Add sugar, melted butter, and eggs to a large mixing bowl. Mix until blended.
4. Stir buttermilk and baking soda together in a small bowl. Add to mixing bowl.
5. Add cornmeal, flour, and salt to the mixture. Stir until blended.
6. Pour into baking pan.
7. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until done. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean when done.
8. Cut into pie-shaped pieces. Butter the corn bread and serve while hot. Delicious!