Cheers2Wine is pleased to recommend this Coq au Vin Recipe. Indulge with chocolate covered strawberries for dessert. This classic Italian dish tastes great! This hearty dish is comfort food at its best!
Wine Pairing:You need a hearty red wine such as a Chianti or Barbera to pair with Coq au Vin.
Ingredients for this Coq au Vin Recipe:
8 slices bacon (chopped into 1/2 pieces)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 – 3 lbs. of chicken (legs and thighs)
3/4 teaspoon salt (plus additional for seasoning)
1/4 teaspoon pepper (plus additional for seasoning)
1 pound bag frozen pearl onions (thawed)
1 pound mushrooms (cut in half)
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into thirds
3 large carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/3 cup flour
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
2 1/2 cups of dry red wine
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley (chopped)
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Instructions for this Coq au Vin Recipe:
1. Use a large Dutch oven to cook the bacon in oil until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and set aside.
2. Season the chicken with salt and paper and brown in the bacon drippings. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
3. Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms to pan. Cook until brown.
4. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, salt, and flour.
5. Add wine and chicken broth. Stir. Make sure there are no lumps of flour.
6. Add chicken, thyme, bay leaves, and half of the bacon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 40 minutes.
7. Uncover and simmer until the sauce thickens, which will be about 10 more minutes.
8. Stir in parsley and wine vinegar.
9. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
10. Top with bacon and serve.
How to Make Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Chocolate covered strawberries are always a special treat. Use your favorite chocolate to make this easy yet decadent dessert.
Ingredients for chocolate covered strawberries:
2 pounds strawberries
12 ounces of your favorite chocolate
(semisweet, milk, dark)
6 ounces white chocolate (optional)
Instructions for chocolate covered strawberries:
1. Strawberries need to be at room temperature. Wash and dry strawberries. It is important that strawberries are totally dry.
2. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper.
3. Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in the microwave.
4. Hold onto stem of a strawberry. Dip strawberry into the melted chocolate. Swirl to coat all sides of the strawberry. Hold strawberry above melted chocolate. Swirl and shake to remove excess chocolate.
5. Lay strawberry on the waxed paper. Repeat with all of the strawberries.
6. If desired – Melt white chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in the microwave. Dip a fork into the melted white chocolate. Swirl onto the chocolate strawberries to make a swirly design on both sides of each strawberry.
7. Keep strawberries at room temperature. They should be served within 8 hours. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator. Leftovers can be eaten the next day, but the chocolate will start to separate from the strawberries after being cooled.
View More Recipes from Cheers-2-Wine CLICK HERE
If you have tried this coq au vin recipe, please let us know how it turned out. Leave a comment below.