This rich chocolate cake recipe is a dessert that you will bake over and over again. The enticing flavors of chocolate and port combine to make this a cake that will delight chocolate lovers.
Wine Pairing: One of our favorite Ports is produced by a small winery in Lodi called St. Amant. Their Vintage Port is made using traditional Portuguese traditions and is a breathtaking wine year after year. Their Bootleg Port is less expensive and still of great quality. Either would be perfect to sip and savor with this chocolate cake.
Ingredients for the Chocolate Bundt Cake:
10 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup margarine
5 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup port wine
1/2 cup flour
5 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
Instructions this rich Chocolate Cake recipe:
1. Melt unsweetened chocolate and 3/4 cup butter in the top of a double boiler. Cool to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 10 inch Bundt or tube pan.
2. Beat egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar on high until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually stir in the 3/4 cup of port wine and flour. Fold in the cooled chocolate mixture.
3. Whip egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into the batter. Then fold in walnuts. Pour batter into bundt pan.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until done. Cool in pan. Invert onto serving plate. Cool completely.
Ingredients for the Chocolate Glaze:
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 tablespoon karo syrup
1/2 cup port wine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Instructions for the Chocolate Glaze:
1. In the top of a double boiler combine chocolate chips, 1/2 cup butter and karo syrup. Stir frequently until chocolate is melted. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup port wine and vanilla until mixture is smooth.
6. Cool for approximately thirty minutes. Then pour over cooled cake.
7. If desired, top with berries.
Search Other Dessert Recipes From Cheers-2-Wine
– CLICK HERE –
If you have tried this rich chocolate cake recipe, please tell us how the cake turned out. We would love to hear about your experience with this cake recipe.